Sunday, September 28, 2008

Polish My Ring Myself?

What is new today? So far all I've thought about is what about polishing a ring with scratches?

I strongly advise against trying this yourself, I am an idiot who will try anything. Don't do it!! So now that I've said that- on with the show.

If a jeweler can do it why can't I? Of course the main reason is that I do not have the tools or resources to do a proper job of it. (I do have a dremil tool with some cloth looking wheels, and I have a jewelry cleaner and a polishing cloth.) And then the knowledge seems to be right here in front of me.

I ran a few laps in the wide world web and found that when a ring is first cast it is quite an ugly thing with spokes connecting the insides together and a mushroom chunk of gold rising from the spokes... all this is for the gold to flow properly and the air to escape from the mould. After the roughing in of these really rough areas with saws and files, sandpaper and scrapers, the ring starts to look like the one I have on my middle finger. (Yes. I have one on each finger of my left hand... after all I am Prince W1zard007). Using a polish called
Tripoli, one can use mechanical polishing tools to begin the next step to returning the original shine and luster to the ring with a dull sheen caused by micro scratches. A new ring always looks better than a ring wore daily.

The smaller areas of my ring do not seem to suffer under these small scratches as much as the larger surfaces. So I am going to try to polish my ring with a dremil tool and some of this Tripoli polish. When I am done with this I will place the ring into an ultrasonic cleaner for a couple of hours to remove any remaining polish. After I finish with this cleaning I will begin to polish with a jewelers rouge to bring the shine out of the gold, this will also be done with my handy dremil tool. Another cleaning in the ultrasonic and then I will hand buff the ring with a polishing cloth I bought at the local Wal-Mart.

When I get done with this test I will Post a "BEFORE" and "AFTER" picture on this site. Hey, who knows, maybe I'll find a way to polish other items as well.

I strongly suggest that if you want to have a gold item re polished that you bring it to a professional jeweler and be confident that it will be done in a sure and trusted manner.

Link

No comments: